As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings ascribed to them by this section:
(1) COMMISSION. The Alabama Manufactured Housing Commission.
(2) APPROVED. Conforming to the recognized codes and regulatory requirements adopted by the commission.
(3) APPROVED INSPECTION AGENCY. An organization meeting the commission's requirements to provide inspection of manufactured buildings and to insure compliance with national recognized codes, and rules and regulations adopted by the commission pursuant to this chapter.
(4) LOCAL GOVERNMENT. A city or county government.
(5) MANUFACTURE. The process of making, fabricating, constructing, forming or assembling a product from raw, unfinished or semifinished materials.
(6) INSTALL. The assembly of a manufactured building, components of manufactured building on site and the process of affixing a manufactured building to land, a foundation, footings or an existing building and service connections which are a part thereof.
(7) SITE. The entire tract, subdivision, or parcel of land on which a manufactured building is installed.
(8) INSIGNIA. A label, seal, or data plate issued by the commission to indicate compliance with the codes and requirements established by the commission pursuant to this chapter.
(9) MOBILE HOME or MANUFACTURED HOME. Any residential dwelling unit constructed to standards and codes as promulgated by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
(10) DWELLING UNIT. One or more habitable rooms which are occupied, intended, or designed to be occupied by one or more families with facilities for living, sleeping, cooking, and eating.
(11) EQUIPMENT. All materials, appliances, devices, fixtures, fittings, or accessories installed in or used in the manufacture and assembly of a manufactured building.
(12) SYSTEM. Structural, plumbing, mechanical, heating, electrical, or ventilating elements, materials or components combined for use in a manufactured building.
(13) MANUFACTURED BUILDING. A closed structure, building assembly or systems of subassemblies, which may include structural, electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilating, utility service lines, footings, foundations, porches, or other service systems manufactured in manufacturing facilities, for installation or erection, with or without other specified components, as a finished building or as a part of a finished building, which shall include, but not be limited to, residential dwelling units, commercial, institutional, storage, and industrial structures. "Mobile homes" or "manufactured homes" are excluded. "Manufactured building" may also mean, at the option of the manufacturer, any building of open construction made or assembled in manufacturing facilities away from the building site, for installation, or assembly and installation, on the building site. Excluded from the definition of "manufactured building" shall be any temporarily placed building, trailer, or structure maintained by a licensed general contractor or subcontractor for purposes of storage, office space, or any other construction related function at a project site.
(14) CLOSED CONSTRUCTION. That condition when any building, component, assembly, subassembly, or system is manufactured in such a manner that all portions cannot be readily inspected at the site without disassembly or destruction thereof.
(15) OPEN CONSTRUCTION. Any building, building component, assembly or systems manufactured in such a manner that all portions can be readily inspected at the site without disassembly, damage to or destruction thereof.
(16) FEES. Moneys to be paid to the commission from any and all persons, firms, companies, corporations, and manufacturers engaged in the manufacture or installation of manufactured buildings.
(17) COMPONENT. Any assembly, subassembly, or combination of parts for use as a part of a building, which may include structural, electrical, mechanical, and fire protection systems, and other systems affecting health and safety.
(18) MODEL. A specific design of manufactured building which is based on size, room arrangement, method of construction, location arrangement, or size of plumbing, heating, or electrical equipment systems.
(19) MODULAR HOME. A manufactured building built and inspected in accordance with a national building code and in compliance with the provisions of this chapter.