The following words and phrases used in this chapter shall have the following respective meanings:
(1) ADECA. The Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs.
(2) COVERED MULTIFAMILY DWELLINGS:
a. Buildings consisting of four or more units if the buildings have one or more elevators; and
b. Ground floor units in other buildings consisting of four or more units.
(3) DISCRIMINATORY HOUSING PRACTICE. An act that is unlawful under this chapter.
(4) DWELLING. Any building or structure, or portion of any building or structure, which is occupied as, or designed or intended for occupancy as, a residence by one or more families, and any vacant land which is offered for sale or lease for the construction or location on it of any such building or structure, or portion of it.
(5) FAMILIAL STATUS. a. One or more individuals who have not attained the age of 18 years and are domiciled with:
1. A parent or another person having legal custody of the individual; or
2. The designee of the parent or other person having the custody, with the written permission of parent or other person.
b. The protections afforded against discrimination on the basis of familial status apply to any person who is pregnant or is in the process of securing legal custody of any individual who has not attained the age of 18 years.
(6) HANDICAP. With respect to a person:
a. A physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of the person's major life activities;
b. A record of having such an impairment; or
c. Being regarded as having an impairment. The term "handicap" excludes current, illegal use of or addiction to a controlled substance as defined by law.
(7) HOUSING FOR OLDER PERSONS. Housing:
a. Provided under any state or federal program that the Attorney General determines is designed specifically and operated to assist elderly persons, as defined in the state or federal program; or
b. Intended for, and solely occupied by persons 62 years of age or older; or
c. Intended and operated for occupancy by at least one person 55 years of age or older for each unit. In determining whether housing qualifies as housing intended and operated for occupancy by at least one person 55 years of age or older, ADECA shall develop regulations which require at least the following factors:
1. The existence of significant facilities and services specifically designed to meet the physical or social needs of older persons, or if the provision of the facilities and services is not practicable, that the housing is necessary to provide important housing opportunities for older persons;
2. That at least 80 percent of the dwellings are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older for each unit; and
3. The publication of and adherence to policies and procedures which demonstrate an intent by the owner or manager to provide housing for persons 55 years of age or older.
d. Housing does not fail to meet the requirements for housing for older persons by reason of:
1. Persons residing in this housing as of September 13, 1988, who do not meet the requirements of paragraph b. or c.; or
2. Unoccupied units, provided that these units are reserved for occupancy by persons who meet the new requirements of paragraph b. or c.
(8) OFFICE. Office of ADECA.
(9) PERSON. One or more individuals, corporations, partnerships, associations, labor organizations, legal representatives, mutual companies, joint-stock companies, trusts, unincorporated organizations, trustees, trustees in bankruptcy, receivers, and fiduciaries.
(10) TO RENT. To lease, to sublease, to let, and otherwise to grant for a consideration the right to occupy premises not owned by the occupant.