As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) COMMISSIONER. The Alabama Commissioner of Insurance or his or her designee.
(2) DEPARTMENT. The Alabama Department of Insurance.
(3) INSURANCE. As defined in Section 27-1-2, and specifically including any contract, arrangement, or agreement, in which one undertakes to do any one of the following:
a. Pay or indemnify another as to loss from certain contingencies called risks.
b. Pay or grant a specified amount or determinable benefit to another in connection with ascertainable risk contingencies.
c. Pay an annuity to another.
d. Act as surety.
For the purposes of this chapter, insurance also includes any health benefit plan as defined in Section 27-53-1.
(4) INSURANCE PRODUCER or PRODUCER. As defined in Section 27-7-1.
(5) INSURER. A person entering into agreements, contracts of insurance, arrangements, or reinsurance, or a health benefit plan, or a group health plan as defined in Section 607(1) of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, or any entity offering a service benefit plan, and who agrees to perform any of the acts set forth in subdivision (3), including but not limited to, fraternal benefit societies, mutual aid associations, health maintenance organizations, and health care service plans, regardless of whether the person is acting in violation of laws requiring a certificate of authority or regardless of whether the person denies being an insurer.
(6) NAIC. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners or its successor in interest.
(7) NICB. The National Insurance Crime Bureau or its successor in interest.
(8) PERSON. An individual, corporation, partnership, association, joint stock company, trust, unincorporated organization, or any similar entity or any combination of the foregoing.
(9) POLICY. An individual or group insurance policy, agreement, group certificate, contract, evidence of insurance, or arrangement of insurance affecting the rights of a resident of this state or bearing a reasonable relation to this state, regardless if delivered or issued for delivery in this state.
(10) PRACTITIONER. A person licensed in this state authorized to practice medicine and surgery, psychology, chiropractic, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, nursing, physical therapy or law, or any other licensee of the state or person required to be licensed in this state.
(11) REINSURANCE. A contract, binder of coverage, including placement slip, or arrangement under which an insurer procures insurance for itself in another insurer as to all or part of an insurance risk of the originating insurer.
(12) TRANSACT or TRANSACTION. As defined in Section 27-1-2.
(13) UNIT. The Insurance Fraud Unit of the Alabama Department of Insurance.