As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the respective meanings herein set forth, unless the context shall otherwise require:
(1) ALABAMA INSURANCE CODE. Title 27 of the Code of Alabama 1975.
(2) INSURER. Such term shall have the meaning ascribed in Section 27-1-2.
(3) PERSON. Such term shall have the meaning ascribed in Section 27-1-2.
(4) COMMISSIONER and DEPARTMENT. Such terms, respectively, shall have the meanings ascribed in Section 27-1-2.
(5) CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION. Any obligation under covered policies or employee benefit plans.
(6) COVERED POLICY OR PLAN. Any policy, employee benefit plan, or contract within the scope of this chapter.
(7) HEALTH INSURANCE POLICY. Any individual, group, blanket, or franchise insurance policy, insurance agreement, or group hospital service contract providing benefits for dental care expenses incurred as a result of an accident or sickness.
(8) EMPLOYEE BENEFIT PLAN. Any plan, fund, or program heretofore or hereafter established or maintained by an employer or by an employee organization, or by both, to the extent that such plan, fund, or program was established or is maintained for the purpose of providing for its participants or their beneficiaries, through the purchase of insurance or otherwise, dental care benefits in the event of accident or sickness.
(9) DENTAL CARE SERVICES. Any services furnished to any person for the purpose of preventing, alleviating, curing, or healing human dental illness or injury.
(10) DENTIST. Any person who furnishes dental care services and who is licensed as a dentist by the State of Alabama.