For purposes of this chapter, the following terms have the following meanings:
(1) COMMISSIONER. The Alabama Commissioner of Insurance.
(2) CUSTOMER. A person who purchases portable electronics or services.
(3) DEPARTMENT. The Alabama Department of Insurance.
(4) ENROLLED CUSTOMER. A customer who elects coverage under a portable electronics insurance policy issued to a vendor of portable electronics.
(5) LOCATION. Any physical location in the State of Alabama or any website, call center site, or similar location directed to residents of the State of Alabama.
(6) PORTABLE ELECTRONICS. Electronic devices that are portable in nature, their accessories and services related to the use of the device.
(7) PORTABLE ELECTRONICS INSURANCE. a. Insurance providing coverage for the repair or replacement of portable electronics which may provide coverage for portable electronics against any one or more of the following causes of loss: Loss, theft, inoperability due to mechanical failure, malfunction, damage, or other similar cause of loss.
b. Portable electronics insurance does not include:
1. A service contract governed by Chapter 32 of Title 8.
2. A policy of insurance covering a seller's or a manufacturer's obligations under a warranty.
3. A homeowner's, renters, private passenger automobile, commercial multi-peril, or similar policy.
(8) PORTABLE ELECTRONICS TRANSACTION. Either of the following:
a. The sale or lease of portable electronics by a vendor to a customer.
b. The sale of a service related to the use of portable electronics by a vendor to a customer.
(9) SUPERVISING ENTITY. A business entity that is a licensed insurer or insurance producer that is appointed by an insurer to supervise the administration of a portable electronics insurance program.
(10) VENDOR. A person in the business of engaging in portable electronics transactions directly or indirectly.