For the purposes of this chapter only, the following terms, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, shall have the meanings:
(1) ANNUITY CONSIDERATIONS. All sums received as consideration for annuity contracts.
(2) COMMISSIONER. The Commissioner of Insurance of the State of Alabama.
(3) DEPARTMENT. The Department of Insurance of the State of Alabama.
(4) DOMESTIC INSURER. Any insurer organized under the laws of the State of Alabama which maintains its principal office and chief place of business in the State of Alabama.
(5) FOREIGN INSURER. Any insurer organized under the laws of any country or of any state of the United States other than the State of Alabama and any insurer organized under the laws of Alabama which maintains its principal office or chief place of business outside the State of Alabama.
(6) INSURER. Every insurer as defined in Section 27-1-2, and every other insurance company or association charging a premium for contracts entered into by those companies, associations, or societies, which shall include every non-profit corporation organized pursuant to Sections 10-4-100 to 10-4-115, inclusive, every mutual aid association including those organized pursuant to Chapter 30, Title 27, and every health maintenance organization including those organized pursuant to Chapter 21A, Title 27. Notwithstanding the foregoing, societies exempt pursuant to Section 27-34-42, and self-insurance programs utilizing a trust fund or similar entity providing workers' compensation, health, and other insurance-like coverage shall not be included within this definition of insurer.
(7) MEDICAL LIABILITY INSURANCE. Liability insurance provided to hospitals, physicians, dentists, and other persons licensed by the State of Alabama to provide healthcare services against legal liability resulting from the failure of such insureds to comply with the standard of care applicable to them in rendering medical care to patients, including general liability insurance written as a part of such insurance.
(8) PREMIUMS. All amounts received in cash or otherwise on risks in this state as consideration for contracts of insurance, less all of the following:
a. Insurance premiums returned.
b. Reinsurance premiums from insurance companies authorized to do business in Alabama and subject to the premium tax provided for in Chapter 4 of Title 27.
c. Dividends paid, applied, or left with the company to accumulate at interest.
Premiums shall not include: (i) annuity considerations; or (ii) charges by title insurers for abstracting, record searching, certificates as to the record title, escrow and closing services and other related services, or the costs and expenses of examinations of title.