As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings, respectively, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) ACCREDITED STATE. A state in which the Department of Insurance meets the minimum financial qualifications and regulatory standards promulgated and established, from time to time, by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
(2) COMMISSIONER. The Commissioner of Insurance.
(3) CONTROL or CONTROLLED. The same as defined in Section 27-29-1.
(4) CONTROLLED INSURER. A licensed insurer who is controlled, directly or indirectly, by a producer.
(5) CONTROLLING PRODUCER. A producer who, directly or indirectly, controls an insurer.
(6) LICENSED INSURER or INSURER. Any person, firm, association, or corporation duly licensed to transact a property and casualty insurance business in this state. For the purposes of this chapter, the following are not licensed insurers:
a. A residual market pool and a joint underwriting authority or association.
b. A captive insurer other than risk retention groups as defined in 15 U.S.C. Section 3901 et seq. and 42 U.S.C. Section 9671, which, for the purposes of this chapter, are insurers owned by another organization whose exclusive purpose is to insure risks of the parent organization and affiliated companies or, in the case of groups and associations, insurance organizations owned by the insureds whose exclusive purpose is to insure risks to member organizations and group members and their affiliates.
(7) PRODUCER. An insurance broker or brokers or any other person, firm, association, or corporation, when, for any compensation, commission, or other thing of value, the person, firm, association, or corporation acts or aids in any manner in soliciting, negotiating, or procuring the making of any insurance contract on behalf of another insured person, firm, association, or corporation. The term is not intended to include an exclusive agent or any independent agent acting on behalf of the controlled insurer and any subagent or representative of the agent, who acts in the solicitation of, negotiation for, or procurement or making of an insurance contract, if the agent is not also acting in the capacity of an insurance broker in the transaction in question.