THIS SECTION WAS REPEALED IN THE 2022 REGULAR SESSION BY ACT 2022-152 EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 2022. THIS IS NOT IN THE CURRENT CODE SUPPLEMENT.
(a) As used in this section, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) OFFER AND DISSEMINATE. Provide general information, including a description of the coverage and price, as well as processing the application, collecting premiums, and performing other non-licensable activities permitted by the state.
(2) TRAVEL INSURANCE. a. Insurance coverage for personal risks incident to planned travel, including, but not limited to:
1. Interruption or cancellation of trip or event.
2. Loss of baggage or personal effects.
3. Damages to accommodations or rental vehicles.
4. Sickness, accident, disability, or death occurring during travel.
b. Travel insurance does not include major medical plans which provide comprehensive medical protection for travelers with trips lasting six months or longer, including for example, those working overseas or military personnel being deployed.
(3) TRAVEL INSURANCE PRODUCER. A limited lines producer or managing general agent designated by an insurer to sell, solicit, or negotiate travel insurance coverage to individuals through a master, corporate, group, or individual policy, to include a limited lines producer designated by an insurer as the travel insurance supervising entity as set forth in subsection (e).
(4) TRAVEL RETAILER. A business entity that makes, arranges, or offers travel services.
(b) A travel retailer may offer and disseminate travel insurance as a service to its customers on behalf of and under the direction of a travel insurance producer only if the following conditions are met:
(1) The travel insurance producer is clearly identified as the licensed producer on marketing materials and fulfillment packages distributed by travel retailers to customers.
(2) The travel insurance producer or the travel retailer provides to purchasers of travel insurance all of the following:
a. A description of the material terms or the actual material terms of the insurance coverage.
b. A description of the process for filing a claim.
c. A description of the review or cancellation process for the travel insurance policy.
d. The identity and contact information of the insurer and travel insurance producer.
(3) The travel insurance producer shall establish at the time of licensure and thereafter maintain a register, in a form prescribed by the commissioner, of each travel retailer that offers travel insurance on behalf of the travel insurance producer. The register shall be maintained and updated annually by the travel insurance producer and shall include the name, address, and contact information of the travel retailer and of an officer or person who directs or controls the operations of the travel retailer, and the federal tax identification number of the travel retailer. The travel insurance producer shall submit the register to the commissioner upon request. The travel insurance producer shall also certify that a registered travel retailer complies with 18 USC § 1033.
(4) The travel insurance producer shall designate one of its employees who is a licensed individual producer as the designated responsible producer or "DRP" responsible for the business entity's compliance with the insurance laws, rules, and regulations of the state.
(5) The DRP, president, secretary, treasurer, and any other officer or person who directs or controls the insurance operations of the travel insurance producer shall comply with the fingerprinting requirements applicable to insurance producers in the resident state of the travel insurance producer.
(6) The travel insurance producer has paid all applicable insurance producer licensing fees as set forth in applicable state law.
(7) The travel insurance producer requires each employee or authorized representative of the travel retailer whose duties include offering and disseminating travel insurance to receive a program of instruction or training, which may be subject to review by the commissioner. The training material, at a minimum, shall contain instructions on the types of insurance offered, ethical sales practices, and required disclosures to prospective customers.
(c) Any travel retailer offering or disseminating travel insurance shall make brochures or other written materials available to prospective purchasers to do all of the following:
(1) Provide the identity and contact information of the insurer and the travel insurance producer.
(2) Explain that the purchase of travel insurance is not required in order to purchase any other product or service from the travel retailer.
(3) Explain that an unlicensed travel retailer is permitted to provide general information about the insurance offered by the travel retailer, including a description of the coverage and price, but is not qualified or authorized to answer technical questions about the terms and conditions of the insurance offered by the travel retailer or to evaluate the adequacy of the customer's existing insurance coverage.
(d) A travel retailer employee or authorized representative who is not licensed as an insurance producer may not:
(1) Evaluate or interpret the technical terms, benefits, and conditions of the offered travel insurance coverage.
(2) Evaluate or provide advice concerning the existing insurance coverage of a prospective purchaser.
(3) Hold himself or herself out as a licensed insurer, licensed producer, or insurance expert.
(e) A travel retailer whose insurance-related activities, and those of its employees and authorized representatives, are limited to offering and disseminating travel insurance on behalf of and under the direction of a travel insurance producer meeting the conditions stated in this section, may offer and disseminate travel insurance and receive related compensation, upon registration by the travel insurance producer as described in this section.
(f) As the insurer designee, the travel insurance producer is responsible for the acts of the travel retailer and shall use reasonable means to ensure compliance by the travel retailer with this section.
(g) The travel insurance producer and any travel retailer offering and disseminating travel insurance under the travel insurance producer license shall be subject to the applicable trade practices provisions of Chapter 12 and the enforcement provisions applicable to insurance producers generally.