(a) The apprentice independent adjuster license is a temporary license for an individual residing in this state who is qualified for an independent adjuster license except as to having taken and passed the prelicensing course and examination.
(b) An individual applying for an apprentice independent adjuster license shall apply to the commissioner on the appropriate NAIC Uniform Individual Application and declare under penalty of suspension, revocation, or refusal of the license that the statements made in the application are true, correct, and complete to the best of the individual's knowledge and belief. Before approving the application, the commissioner shall find that the individual:
(1) Is at least 18 years of age.
(2) Is a resident of this state.
(3) Has a business or mailing address in this state.
(4) Has not committed any act that is a ground for probation, suspension, revocation, or denial of licensure as set forth in Section 27-9A-12.
(5) Has paid the fees for an individual independent adjuster license as set forth in Section 27-4-2.
(c) The apprentice independent adjuster license shall be subject to the following terms and conditions:
(1) Accompanying the apprentice adjuster application shall be an attestation from an independent adjuster licensed in this state with the same lines of authority for which the apprentice has applied certifying that the apprentice will be subject to training, direction, and control by the licensed independent adjuster and further certifying that the licensed independent adjuster assumes responsibility for the actions of the apprentice in the apprentice's capacity as an independent adjuster. A licensed independent adjuster shall not supervise more than five active apprentice adjuster licensees at any given time.
(2) The apprentice independent adjuster is only authorized to adjust claims in this state.
(3) The apprentice licensee is restricted to participation in the adjusting of claims subject to the review and final determination of the claim by the supervising licensed independent adjuster.
(4) Compensation of an apprentice independent adjuster shall be on a salaried or hourly basis only.
(5) At any time during the period of the license the apprentice independent adjuster may complete the prelicensing course and take the examination required by Section 27-9A-8. If the apprentice independent adjuster successfully completes the independent adjuster examination, the apprentice independent adjuster license shall automatically terminate and an independent adjuster license shall be issued in place thereof.
(6) The apprentice independent adjuster license is valid for a period not to exceed 12 months and is nonrenewable. An individual may only hold an apprentice independent adjuster license once in his or her lifetime.
(7) An apprentice independent adjuster shall be subject to Sections 27-9A-12, 27-9A-14, 27-9A-15, and Chapter 12 of this title to the same extent as if licensed as an independent adjuster in this state.