(a) A person is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor who:
(1) Operates a motor vehicle without a liability insurance policy, a commercial automobile liability insurance policy, a motor vehicle liability insurance bond, or deposit of cash in accordance with this chapter.
(2) With notice of cancellation, recision, abrogation, or termination of insurance, registers, or attempts to register a motor vehicle.
(b) A person shall be guilty of a traffic violation who:
(1) Operates a motor vehicle and upon demand of a law enforcement officer, fails or refuses to present satisfactory evidence of insurance unless a law enforcement officer verifies motor vehicle liability insurance coverage through the online insurance verification system.
(2) Operates a vehicle the registration of which is suspended or revoked pursuant to this chapter.
(3) Operates a motor vehicle and presents evidence of insurance when there is no valid insurance in effect on the motor vehicle as required by this chapter.
(c) A motor vehicle may be impounded at the discretion of a law enforcement officer if the operator fails to provide evidence of registration and insurance as required by this title or Title 40. Evidence of registration and insurance may be verified through the online insurance verification system and other electronic means as necessary.
(d) For the purposes of this chapter, the reference herein to operating a motor vehicle shall be satisfied whenever it is apparent that the vehicle has traveled any distance upon a public road or highway and a law enforcement officer may have only observed the results of finding the vehicle stopped either on or off the public road or highway, as for example when the vehicle has come to a stop after an accident. Witnessing the operation of the vehicle is not required for a citation to be issued under this chapter.