For purposes of this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed in this section:
(1) AICPA. The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
(2) ATTEST. Providing the following services:
a. Any audit or other engagement to be performed in accordance with the Statements on Auditing Standards (SAS).
b. Any review of a financial statement to be performed in accordance with the Statements on Standards for Accounting and Review Services (SSARS).
c. Any engagement to be performed in accordance with the Statements on Standards for Attestation Engagements (SSAE).
d. Any engagement to be performed in accordance with the auditing standards of the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB).
e. The statements on standards specified in this definition shall be adopted by reference by the board pursuant to rule making and shall be those developed for general application by recognized national accountancy organizations such as the AICPA and PCAOB.
(3) BOARD. The Alabama State Board of Public Accountancy created by Section 34-1-3, except the special meaning applicable only to Section 34-1-4.
(4) COMPILATION. Providing a service to be performed in accordance with Statements on Standards for Accounting and Review Services (SSARS) that is presenting in the form of financial statements, information that is the representation of management (owners) without undertaking to express any assurance on the statements.
(5) FIRM. A sole proprietorship, partnership, professional corporation, professional association, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, or any other form of business entity now or hereafter recognized by Alabama law.
(6) LICENSE. A certificate issued pursuant to Section 34-1-4, a permit issued pursuant to Section 34-1-11, registration pursuant to Section 34-1-8; or, in each case, a certificate or permit issued pursuant to corresponding provisions of prior law, or the practice privilege provided pursuant to Section 34-1-7.
(7) LICENSEE. The holder of a license.
(8) OWNER. Any person who holds an ownership interest in a firm.
(9) PEER REVIEW. The study, appraisal, or review of one or more aspects of the professional work of a licensee or firm that performs attest or compilation services, by a person or persons who hold licenses and who are not affiliated with the licensee or firm being reviewed.
(10)a. REPORT. When used in reference to any attest or compilation service, an opinion, report, or other form of language that states or implies assurance as to the reliability of the attested information or compiled financial statements and that also includes or is accompanied by any statement or implication that the person or firm issuing it has special knowledge or competence in accounting or auditing. Such a statement or implication of special knowledge or competence may arise from use by the insurer or the report of names or titles indicating that the person or firm is an accountant or auditor or from the language of the report itself.
b. The term report includes any form of language that disclaims an opinion when such form of language is conventionally understood to imply any positive assurance as to the reliability of the attested information or compiled financial statements referred to or special competence on the part of the person or firm issuing such language. The term report includes any other form of language that is conventionally understood to imply such assurance or such special knowledge or competence.
(11) STATE. Any state, territory, or insular possession of the United States or the District of Columbia.