The Board of Medical Examiners shall have the authority to enter into an agreement with a nonprofit corporation or medical professional association for the Alabama Physician Wellness Committee to undertake those functions and responsibilities specified in the agreement. Such functions and responsibilities may include any or all of the following:
(1) Contracting with providers of treatment programs;
(2) Receiving and evaluating reports of suspected impairment from any source;
(3) Intervening in cases of verified impairment;
(4) Referring impaired physicians to treatment programs;
(5) Monitoring the treatment and rehabilitation of impaired physicians;
(6) Providing post-treatment monitoring and support of rehabilitated impaired physicians; and
(7) Performing such other activities as agreed upon by the Board of Medical Examiners and the Alabama Physician Wellness Committee.