Unless otherwise indicated from the context, the terms set out below, as used in this article shall have the following meanings:
(1) APPLICANT. A person who has submitted or that is in the process of submitting a registration under this article.
(2) BOARD. The Alabama Board of Medical Examiners.
(3) CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE. A drug, substance, or immediate precursor identified, defined, or listed in Sections 20-2-20 to 20-2-32, inclusive.
(4) HOSPITAL. A health care institution licensed by the Alabama Department of Public Health and has the same definition as provided in Chapter 420-5-7 of the Alabama Administrative Code. The term shall include any outpatient facility or clinic that is separated from the hospital that is owned, operated, or controlled by the hospital.
(5) PAIN MANAGEMENT SERVICES. Those medical services that involve the prescription of controlled substances in order to treat chronic nonmalignant pain by a physician who treats pain.
(6) PHYSICIAN. A doctor of medicine or an osteopathic physician.
(7) REGISTRANT. Any physician issued a registration by the board in its capacity as a certifying board pursuant to this article.