(a) As a prerequisite to renewal of a license to appraise real estate, the licensed real estate appraiser, licensed for any classification under this chapter, shall present evidence satisfactory to the board of having met the continuing education requirements of this chapter.
(b) The board shall set, by administrative rule, the continuing education requirements for renewal of licenses for all classifications of real estate appraisers as required by or when necessary to fully comply with the provisions of the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act of 1989, Pub. L. No. 101-73 (FIRREA), and any subsequent amendments and regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(c) In lieu of meeting the requirements of subsection (b) an applicant for renewal may satisfy all or part of the requirements by presenting evidence of either of the following:
(1) Completion of an educational program of study determined by the board to be equivalent, for continuing education purposes, to courses approved by the board pursuant to subsection (b).
(2) Participation other than as a student in educational processes and programs approved by the board which relate to real property appraisal theory, practices, or techniques, including, but not necessarily limited to, teaching, program development, and preparation of textbooks, monographs, articles, and other instructional materials.
(d) The board shall adopt regulations for implementation of this chapter to assure that persons renewing their licenses have current knowledge of real property appraisal theories, practices, and techniques which will provide a high degree of service and protection to those members of the public with whom they deal in a professional relationship under authority of this chapter. The regulations shall prescribe all of the following:
(1) Policies, and procedures, and fees for obtaining board approval of courses of instruction pursuant to subsection (b).
(2) Standards, policies, and procedures to be applied by the board in evaluating applicant's claims of equivalency in accordance with subsection (c).
(3) Standards, monitoring methods, and systems for recording attendance to be employed by course sponsors as a prerequisite to board approval of courses for credit.
(e) In adopting regulations pursuant to subdivision (1) of subsection (d), the board may give favorable consideration to courses of instruction, seminars, and other real property appraisal education courses or programs previously or hereafter developed by or under the auspices of professional appraisal organizations and utilized by those associations for purposes of designation, or indicating compliance with the continuing education requirements of the organizations.
(f) No amendment or repeal of a regulation adopted by the board pursuant to this section shall operate to deprive a licensed real estate appraiser of credit toward renewal of license for any course of instruction completed by the applicant prior to the amendment or repeal of the regulation which would have qualified for continuing education credit under the regulation as it existed prior to the repeal or amendment.
(g) On or after October 1, 1991, a license to appraise real estate that has been revoked as a result of disciplinary action by the board shall not be reinstated unless the applicant presents evidence of completion of the continuing education required by this chapter. This requirement of evidence of continuing education shall not be imposed upon an applicant for reinstatement who has been required to successfully complete the examination for certified real estate appraiser as a condition to reinstatement of a license.