(a) A person liable for payment or performance of the obligation secured by the real property described in a security instrument who makes proper notice pursuant to this section shall be entitled to receive a payoff statement.
(b) Proper notice must contain all of the following:
(1) The entitled person's name.
(2) If given by a person other than an entitled person, the name of the person giving the notification and a statement, if required by the secured party evidence, that the person is an authorized agent of the entitled person.
(3) The address to which the creditor must send the statement.
(4) The account number assigned by the secured creditor or other sufficient information to enable the creditor to identify the secured obligation and the real property encumbered by the security interest.
(5) If the secured obligation is an equity line, a statement that the entitled person requests the secured creditor to close the equity line upon receipt of full payment of the equity line on the payoff date specified in the notification and authorizes the secured creditor, at the secured creditor's sole discretion and upon notification to the entitled person or to the entitled person’s authorized agent, to suspend the extension of any additional amounts under the equity line for a period of time prior to the payoff date as designated by the secured creditor. Any payoff statement on an equity line may qualify the payoff amount as being subject to change.
(c) Within 14 days after the receipt of a notification that complies with subsection (b), the secured creditor shall issue a payoff statement. A secured creditor may take reasonable measures to verify the identity of any person acting on behalf of the entitled person and to obtain the entitled person's authorization to release information to that person before the 14-day time period begins. If a secured obligation cannot be prepaid, a statement of that fact is sufficient; otherwise, a payoff statement must contain, in substance and with no particular phrasing required, the following:
(1) The date on which it was prepared and the payoff amount as of that date, including the amount of unpaid principal, interest and fees, or other charges included within the payoff amount.
(2) The information reasonably necessary to calculate the payoff amount as of the requested payoff date, including the per diem interest amount. This subdivision does not apply to equity line security instruments.
(3) The payment cutoff time, if any, the address or place where payment must be made, and any limitation as to the authorized method of payment.
(d) A secured creditor may qualify a payoff amount or state that it is subject to change before the payoff date and provide in the payoff statement information sufficient to permit the entitled person or the person's authorized agent to request an updated payoff amount and to obtain that updated payoff amount during the secured creditor's normal business hours on the stated payoff date or the immediately preceding business day.
(e) A secured creditor is not required to send a payoff statement by means other than first class mail, facsimile, or electronic mail.
(f) If a secured creditor determines that the payoff statement it provided was erroneous, the creditor may send a corrected payoff statement. If the entitled person or the person's authorized agent receives and has a reasonable opportunity to act upon a corrected payoff statement before making payment, the corrected statement supersedes an earlier statement. This article does not affect the right of a secured creditor to recover any sum that it did not include in a payoff amount from any person liable for payment of the secured obligation, including, without limitation, the entitled person who requested the payoff statement.
(g) This section does not preclude, nor does it apply to, other methods of obtaining payoff information such as telephone calls, electronically, or other methods.