(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (f), the tax imposed by this article shall be due and payable to the department monthly on or before the 20th day of the month next succeeding each month during which the storage, use or other consumption of tangible personal property became taxable hereunder.
(b) Every seller or person engaged in making retail sales of tangible personal property for storage, use or other consumption in this state, who alternatively:
(1) Maintains, occupies, or uses, permanently or temporarily, directly or indirectly, or through a subsidiary, or agent by whatever name called, an office, place of distribution, sales or sample room or place, warehouse or storage place or other place of business;
(2) Qualifies to do business or registers with the state to collect the tax levied by this chapter;
(3) Employs or retains under contract any representative, agent, salesman, canvasser, solicitor or installer operating in this state under the authority of the person or its subsidiary for the purpose of selling, delivering, or the taking of orders for the sale of tangible personal property or any services taxable under this chapter or otherwise solicits and receives purchases or orders by any agent or salesman;
(4) Solicits, pursuant to a contract with a broadcaster or publisher located in this state, orders for tangible personal property by means of advertising which is disseminated primarily to consumers located in this state and only secondarily to bordering jurisdiction;
(5) Solicits orders for tangible personal property by mail if the solicitations are substantial and recurring and if the retailer benefits from any banking, financing, debt collection, telecommunication, or marketing activities occurring in this state or benefits from the location in this state of authorized installation, servicing, or repair facilities. Notwithstanding the previous sentence, a seller who contracts with a provider of call center services shall not be deemed to benefit from telecommunication activities occurring in this state or from the location in this state of authorized installation, servicing, or repair facilities merely as a result of contracting for and receiving only call center services from a call center located in this state. The preceding sentence shall only apply for call centers, as authorized or specified in Division 3 of Article 17 of Chapter 10 of Title 41, and placed in service in this state on or before October 1, 2003;
(6) Has, under a franchise or licensing arrangement or contract, a franchisee or licensee operating under its trade name;
(7) Solicits, pursuant to a contract with a cable television operator located in this state, orders for tangible personal property by means of advertising which is transmitted or distributed over a cable television system in this state;
(8) Solicits orders for tangible personal property by means of a telecommunication or television shopping system which is intended by the person to be broadcast by cable television or other means of broadcasting, to consumers located in this state;
(c) The return shall be accompanied by a remittance of the amount of tax herein required to be collected by the seller during the period covered by the return. Returns shall be signed by the seller or his duly authorized agent but need not be verified by oath.
(d) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (f), every person purchasing tangible personal property, the storage, use, or other consumption of which is subject to the tax imposed by this article, and who has not paid the tax due with respect thereto to a seller required or authorized hereunder to collect the tax, shall on or before the 20th day of the month following the close of each month file with the department a return for the preceding month in such form as may be prescribed by the department showing the total sales price of the tangible personal property purchased by such person, the storage, use, or other consumption of which became subject to the tax imposed by this article during the preceding month and with respect to which the tax was not paid to a seller required or authorized hereunder to collect the tax, and such other information as the department may deem necessary for the proper administration of this article. The return shall be accompanied by a remittance of the amount of tax herein imposed and not paid to a seller required or authorized hereunder to collect the tax during the period covered by the return. Returns shall be signed by the person liable for the tax or his duly authorized agent, but need not be verified by oath.
(e) For the purpose of the proper administration of this article and to prevent evasion of the tax and the duty to collect the same herein imposed, it shall be presumed that tangible personal property sold by any person for delivery in this state is sold for storage, use, or other consumption in this state unless the person selling such property has taken from the purchaser a certificate signed by and bearing the name and address of the purchaser to the effect that the property was purchased for resale, and it shall be further presumed that tangible personal property shipped to this state by the purchaser thereof was purchased from a retailer on and after March 1, 1939, for storage, use, or other consumption in this state. Except as otherwise provided in subsection (f), any seller making cash and credit sales for storage, use, or other consumption in Alabama may report such cash sales and shall thereafter include in each monthly report all credit collections made during the preceding month, and shall pay the taxes due thereon at the time of filing such report, but in no event shall the gross proceeds of credit sales be included in the measure of the tax to be paid until collections of such credit sales shall have been made.
(f) When the total state use tax for which any person is liable under this division averages less than two hundred dollars ($200) per month during the preceding calendar year, a quarterly return and remittance in lieu of the monthly returns may be made, by election of the taxpayer to the department, on or before the 20th day of the month next succeeding the end of the quarter for which the tax is due under such rules and regulations as may be prescribed by the department. The election to file quarterly shall be made in writing no later than February 20 of each year and shall be filed with the department. Notwithstanding the above, no state use tax return shall be due until January 20 of each year unless the total state use tax for which any person is liable under this division during the preceding calendar year exceeds ten dollars ($10).