(a) The Legislature finds and declares that:
(1) The people of this state have a fundamental interest in the orderly development of the state and its regions;
(2) The state has a positive interest in the preparation and maintenance of long-term, comprehensive plans for the economic, physical and human resource development of the whole state and of each of its regions, which plans can serve as a guide for local governmental units and state departments and agencies;
(3) The continued growth of the state, particularly in urban areas, and the readjustment of the people to the changed economy of the state present problems which can best be solved by overall state planning guidance for their solution;
(4) Local governmental planning and program implementation can be strengthened when done in relation to and coordinated with the planning efforts and program implementation of the state and of the regions of the state; and
(5) Orderly and harmonious coordination of state and local plans and programs with those of the federal government, state and regional planning and programming requires direct leadership by the Governor.
(b) It is the purpose of this article to promote the development of the state's human, economic and physical resources and to promote the health, safety and general welfare of its citizens by creating, within the executive branch, an agency for comprehensive statewide planning and economic development. The agency shall act as an advisory, consulting and coordinating agency to harmonize activities at all levels of government, render planning assistance to governmental units and stimulate public interest and participation in the human resource, economic and physical development of the state.