(a) For purposes of this section, the following words have the following meanings:
(1) CREDIT CARD. A line of credit issued by a domestic lender or credit card bank.
(2) DEBIT CARD. A card issued by a bank in relation to a checking or savings account authorized by law to be expended at the discretion of the Coosa County Sheriff's Office.
(b) To provide for convenience in making purchases of tangible personal property or services approved by the sheriff, the Sheriff of Coosa County may establish procedures to make certain purchases through use of a credit or debit card issued to the Coosa County Sheriff's Office. The sheriff shall adopt written policy and procedures governing the utilization of credit or debit cards which, at a minimum, shall include each of the following:
(1) A monetary limit on the amount of any individual purchase which may be made with a credit or debit card.
(2) A monetary limit on the total monthly amount that may be purchased with a credit or debit card taking into consideration the monetary limit of the discretionary fund used.
(3) Procedures to ensure that the sheriff has sole access to any credit or debit card, credit or debit card numbers, access codes, or security codes.
(4) Procedures to keep accurate records of all purchases made with a credit or debit card which shall be periodically reviewed during required audits.
(5) Procedures to ensure that all credit or debit card bills are carefully reviewed by the sheriff each month to make sure that no unauthorized charges appear on the bill.
(6) Procedures to ensure that all credit or debit card bills are paid in full on a timely basis each month to avoid service charges, late fees, or interest payments.
(7) The sheriff shall select the credit or debit card provider or providers taking into consideration each of the following:
a. Whether the credit or debit card issuer requires an annual fee for utilizing the card.
b. Whether the credit or debit card issuer offers rewards or rebates based upon purchases made utilizing the account.
c. What interest rates, service charges, finance charges, or late fees will be assessed in the event a bill from the credit or debit card issuer is paid late or the balance is not paid in full.
d. Whether penalties or fees will be assessed against the sheriff in the event the sheriff decides to terminate the credit or debit card.
e. Any other consideration deemed relevant by the sheriff.
(c) In the event the credit or debit card provides rewards or rebates based upon the use of the card, any rewards or rebates earned from the card or cards shall be deposited in the discretionary account of the Coosa County Sheriff's Office.
(d) The sole purpose of this section is to allow the Sheriff of Coosa County a more efficient method of making payment for authorized purchases of tangible property or services. Nothing in this section shall authorize the Sheriff of Coosa County to expend funds in excess of those otherwise validly appropriated under law. Nor shall anything in this section authorize the Sheriff of Coosa County to establish a debt of the Coosa County Commission.