When used in this article, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings, respectively, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
(1) AUTHORITY. The DeKalb County Water Authority, a public corporation organized pursuant to this article.
(2) BOARD. The Board of Directors of the DeKalb County Water Authority.
(3) BONDS. Bonds, notes, and certificates representing an obligation to pay money.
(4) COUNTY. DeKalb County.
(5) DIRECTOR. A member of the Board of Directors of the DeKalb County Water Authority.
(6) GARBAGE PICK-UP AND DISPOSAL. All services involved in the pick-up and disposal of garbage from residents, businesses, and factories.
(7) SEWER SERVICE. The construction, operation, and maintenance of sewer disposal facilities and lines in areas of the county not served by any other public sewer facility.
(8) INCORPORATORS. The persons forming a public corporation organized pursuant to this article.
(9) MUNICIPALITY. An incorporated city or town of DeKalb County.
(10) NEW TERRITORY. Any territory added, by amendment to the certificate of incorporation of an authority, to the area or areas in which that authority is authorized to render water, garbage, or sewer service.
(11) PERSON. Unless limited to a natural person by the context in which it is used, such term includes a public or private corporation, a municipality, a county or an agency, department, or instrumentality of the state or of a county or municipality.
(12) PROPERTY. Real and personal property and interests therein.
(13) PUBLIC WATER SYSTEM. A water system which is owned or operated by the United States of America, the state, a county, a municipality, a public corporation organized under the laws of the state, any combination of any thereof, or any agency or instrumentality of anyone or more thereof or in which anyone or more thereof or any agency or instrumentality of anyone or more thereof holds a reversionary or remainder interest.
(14) SERVICE AREA. The geographic area or areas in which the authority is authorized by its certificate of incorporation or any amendment thereto to render water, sewer, or garbage service shall be any area within the county in which such service is not provided by another public authority.
(15) STATE. The State of Alabama.
(16) WATER SERVICE. The providing, furnishing, supplying, or distributing of water and the performing of all of the functions and activities reasonably incident to the operation of a water system.
(17) WATER SYSTEM. Land, plants, systems, facilities, buildings, and other property, or any combination of any thereof, which are used or useful or capable of future use in providing, furnishing, supplying, or distributing water, including but not limited to water supply systems, water distribution systems, reservoirs, wells, intakes, mains, laterals, aqueducts, pumping stations, standpipes, filtration plants, purification plants, meters, valves, fire hydrants, and all necessary appurtenances and equipment, and all properties, rights, easements, and franchises deemed necessary or desirable by the authority for use in rendering water service.