For purposes of this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) BORROWER. A natural person who submits an application for a loan secured by a first or subordinate mortgage or deed of trust on a single-family to four-family home to be occupied by the borrower as the borrower's primary residence.
(2) COMMITMENT. A written statement by a lender that sets forth the terms and conditions upon which the lender is willing to make a particular mortgage loan to a particular borrower. A good faith estimate provided under the Federal Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act is not a commitment for the purposes of Act 2009-624.
(3) CONTROL. The direct or indirect possession of the power to direct or cause the direction of the management and policies of a person, whether through the ownership of voting securities, by contract, or otherwise, and shall include the terms controlling, controlled by, and under common control with.
(4) DEPARTMENT. The State Banking Department of Alabama.
(5) EXECUTIVE OFFICER. The chief executive officer, the president, the principal financial officer, the principal operating officer, each vice president with responsibility involving policy-making functions for a significant aspect of a person's business, the secretary, the treasurer, or any other person performing similar managerial or supervisory functions with respect to any organization whether incorporated or unincorporated.
(6) FINANCIAL STATEMENT. A financial statement prepared in accordance with standard accounting practices and procedures under the supervision of a certified public accountant.
(7) LICENSE. A license issued by the department under this chapter to act as a mortgage broker.
(8) LICENSEE. A person who is licensed as a mortgage broker under this chapter.
(9) MORTGAGE BROKER. Any person who directly or indirectly solicits, processes, places, or negotiates mortgage loans for a borrower, or offers to solicit, process, place, or negotiate mortgage loans for a borrower.
(10) MORTGAGE LOAN. A loan or agreement to loan money made to a natural person, which loan is secured by a deed to secure debt, security deed, mortgage, security instrument, or other document representing a security interest or lien upon any interest in single-family to four-family residential real estate located in Alabama, regardless of where made, including the renewal or refinancing of any loan. Without limitation, a "mortgage loan" does not include any document which creates a lien or security interest in a fixture which is attached to residential real estate.
(11) NATIONWIDE MORTGAGE LICENSING SYSTEM AND REGISTRY. A mortgage licensing system developed and maintained by the Conference of State Bank Supervisors and the American Association of Residential Mortgage Regulators for the licensing and registration of mortgage loan originators.
(12) PERSON. Any individual, sole proprietorship, corporation, limited liability company, partnership, estate, trust, or any other group of individuals, however organized.
(13) PRINCIPAL. A natural person who, directly or indirectly, owns or controls an ownership interest of 10 percent or more in a corporation or any other form of business organization, regardless of whether the natural person owns or controls the ownership interest through one or more natural persons or one or more proxies, powers of attorney, nominees, or other entities or devices, or any combination thereof.
(14) RESIDENTIAL REAL ESTATE. Any real property located in Alabama upon which is constructed or intended to be constructed a dwelling.
(15) SERVICE A MORTGAGE LOAN. The collection or remittance for another, or the right to collect or remit for another, of payments of principal, interest, trust items such as insurance and taxes, and any other payments pursuant to a mortgage loan.
(16) SUPERVISOR. The Supervisor of the Bureau of Loans of the department.