(1) In general. In order to meet the annual continuing education requirements referred to in Section 5-26-9(1)(b), a licensed mortgage loan originator shall complete at least eight hours of education approved in accordance with subsection (2), which shall include at least:
(a) Three hours of federal law and regulations;
(b) Two hours of ethics, which shall include instruction on fraud, consumer protection, and fair lending issues; and
(c) Two hours of training related to lending standards for the nontraditional mortgage product marketplace.
(2) Approved educational courses. For purposes of subsection (1), continuing education courses shall be reviewed and approved by the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry based upon reasonable standards. Review and approval of a continuing education course shall include review and approval of the course provider.
(3) Approval of employer and affiliate educational courses. Nothing in this section shall preclude any education course, as approved by the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry, that is provided by the employer of the mortgage loan originator or an entity which is affiliated with the mortgage loan originator by an agency contract, or any subsidiary or affiliate of such employer or entity.
(4) Venue of education. Continuing education may be offered either in a classroom, online, or by any other means approved by the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry.
(5) Calculation of continuing education credits. A licensed mortgage loan originator:
(a) Except for Section 5-26-9(2) and subsection (9), may only receive credit for a continuing education course in the year in which the course is taken; and
(b) May not take the same approved course in the same or successive years to meet the annual requirements for continuing education.
(6) Instructor credit. A licensed mortgage loan originator who is an approved instructor of an approved continuing education course may receive credit for the licensed mortgage loan originator's own annual continuing education requirement at the rate of two hours' credit for every one hour taught.
(7) Reciprocity of education. A person having successfully completed the education requirements approved by the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry in subsections (1)(a), (b), and (c) for any state shall be accepted as credit towards completion of continuing education requirements in Alabama.
(8) Lapse in license. A licensed mortgage loan originator who subsequently becomes unlicensed must complete the continuing education requirements for the last year in which the license was held prior to issuance of a new or renewed license.
(9) Make up of continuing education. A person meeting the requirements of Section 5-26-9(1)(a) and (c) may make up any deficiency in continuing education as established by rule or regulation of the supervisor.