Section 6-10-106

Proceedings to set aside exemptions when husband, wife, or parent absent seven years and residence not ascertainable - Generally.

(a) When the real and personal property owned by an absent husband, wife, or parent who has not been heard from and whose residence has been unknown for seven years and whose residence cannot be ascertained by diligent inquiry does not exceed in amount and value the exemptions allowed in favor of his or her surviving spouse and minor child or children, or either, the probate court of the county in which he or she resided before leaving his or her spouse or children, upon the application of the deserted spouse or, if there is no spouse or he or she does not act, upon the application of the guardian or of a suitable person who shall be appointed by the judge of probate as next friend of such minor children, verified by oath and setting forth such facts, must appoint two commissioners, who shall make a full and complete inventory and appraisement of the real and personal property of such absent husband or wife and parent, describing the property and stating the value of each item or parcel thereof. In estimating the value of such property, or any part thereof, if the same is held in pledge or under mortgage or other lien or encumbrance created prior to the commencement of the absence of the said husband, wife, or parent, such encumbered property must be valued at only the excess in its value over and above the sum of such lien or encumbrance.

(b) If such property, real or personal, or both, does not exceed in amount or value the exemptions allowed a surviving spouse and minor children in such property, the commissioners must set apart the same to the said deserted spouse and minor children, or either; and within 10 days thereafter, they shall return to the court the inventory and appraisement, with a report of their action in the premises. Exceptions to such report must be filed, heard, and determined as in other cases of exceptions to reports setting apart exemptions.

(Acts 1923, No. 368, p. 388; Code 1923, §§7957, 7958; Code 1940, T. 7, §§703, 704.)