As used in this article the following words and terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) ANNUITY ISSUER. An insurer that has issued a contract to fund periodic payments under a structured settlement.
(2) DEPENDENTS. A payee's spouse and minor children and all other persons for whom the payee is legally obligated to provide support, including alimony.
(3) DISCOUNTED PRESENT VALUE. The present value of future payments determined by discounting the payments to the present using the most recently published applicable federal rate for determining the present value of an annuity, as issued by the United States Internal Revenue Service.
(4) GROSS ADVANCE AMOUNT. The sum payable to the payee or for the payee's account as consideration for a transfer of structured settlement payment rights before any reductions for transfer expenses or other deductions to be made from the consideration.
(5) INDEPENDENT PROFESSIONAL ADVICE. Advice of an attorney, certified public accountant, actuary, or other licensed professional adviser.
(6) INTERESTED PARTIES. With respect to any structured settlement, the payee, any beneficiary irrevocably designated under the annuity contract to receive payments following the payee's death, the annuity issuer, the structured settlement obligor, and any other party that has continuing rights or obligations under such structured settlement.
(7) NET ADVANCE AMOUNT. The gross advance amount less the aggregate amount of the actual and estimated transfer expenses required to be disclosed under subdivision (5) of Section 6-11-52.
(8) PAYEE. An individual who is receiving tax free payments under a structured settlement and proposes to make a transfer of payment rights thereunder.
(9) PERIODIC PAYMENTS. Includes both recurring payments and scheduled future lump sum payments.
(10) QUALIFIED ASSIGNMENT AGREEMENT. An agreement providing for a qualified assignment within the meaning of Section 130 of the United States Internal Revenue Code, United States Code Title 26, as amended from time to time.
(11) RESPONSIBLE ADMINISTRATIVE AUTHORITY. With respect to a structured settlement, any government authority vested by law with exclusive jurisdiction over the settled claim resolved by such structured settlement.
(12) SETTLED CLAIM. The original tort claim resolved by a structured settlement.
(13) STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT. An arrangement for periodic payment of damages for personal injuries or sickness established by settlement or judgment in resolution of a tort claim.
(14) STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT. The agreement, judgment, stipulation, or release embodying the terms of a structured settlement.
(15) STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT OBLIGOR. With respect to any structured settlement, the party that has the continuing obligation to make periodic payments to the payee under a structured settlement agreement or a qualified assignment agreement.
(16) STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT PAYMENT RIGHTS. Rights to receive periodic payments under a structured settlement, whether from the structured settlement obligor or the annuity issuer, where:
a. The payee is domiciled in, or the domicile or principal place of business of the structured settlement obligor or the annuity issuer is located in, this state.
b. The structured settlement agreement was approved by a court or responsible administrative authority in this state.
c. The structured settlement agreement is expressly governed by the laws of this state.
(17) TERMS OF THE STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT. Include, with respect to any structured settlement, the terms of the structured settlement agreement, the annuity contract, any qualified assignment agreement, and any order or other approval of any court or responsible administrative authority or other government authority that authorized or approved the structured settlement.
(18) TRANSFER. Any sale, assignment, pledge, hypothecation, or other alienation or encumbrance of structured settlement payment rights made by a payee for consideration; provided that the term does not include the creation or perfection of a security interest in structured settlement payment rights under a security agreement entered into with a bank or other insured depository institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a bank or other insured depository institution (secured party) until and unless the secured party redirects the structured settlement payments to such secured party, or an agent or successor in interest thereof, or otherwise enforces the security interest against the structured settlement payment rights.
(19) TRANSFER AGREEMENT. The agreement providing for a transfer of structured settlement payment rights.
(20) TRANSFEREE. A party acquiring or proposing to acquire structured settlement payment rights through a transfer; provided that the term does not include a secured party who has not received a transfer of the structured settlement payment rights as the term "transfer" is defined in subdivision (18).
(21) TRANSFER EXPENSES. All expenses of a transfer that are required under the transfer agreement to be paid by the payee or deducted from the gross advance amount, including, without limitation, court filing fees, attorneys' fees, escrow fees, lien recordation fees, judgment and lien search fees, finders' fees, commissions, and other payments to a broker or other intermediary. The term does not include preexisting obligations of the payee payable for the payee's account from the proceeds of a transfer.