For purposes of this article, the following words and phrases shall have the respective meanings ascribed by this section:
(1) DEFAULT. The failure to perform in a timely manner any obligation or duty set forth in this article or the rental agreement.
(2) LAST KNOWN ADDRESS. That address provided by the occupant in the latest rental agreement or the address provided by the occupant in a subsequent written notice of a change of address.
(3) LEASED SPACE. The individual storage space at the self-service storage facility which is leased or rented to an occupant pursuant to a rental agreement.
(4) OCCUPANT. A person or entity, or his sublessee, successor, or assign, entitled to the use of a storage space at a self-service storage facility, under a written rental agreement with the owner, to the exclusion of others.
(5) OWNER. The owner, operator, lessor, or sublessor of a self-service storage facility, his agent, or any other person authorized by him to manage the facility or to receive rent from an occupant under a rental agreement.
(6) PERSONAL PROPERTY. Movable property not affixed to land. This term includes, but is not limited to, goods, merchandise, and household items.
(7) RENTAL AGREEMENT. Any written agreement or lease which establishes or modifies the terms, conditions, rules, or any other provisions concerning the use and occupancy at a self-service storage facility and which contains a notice stating that all articles stored under the terms of such agreement will be sold or otherwise disposed of if no payment has been received for a continuous 30-day period. Such agreement shall contain a provision directing the occupant to disclose any lienholders with an interest in property that is stored or will be stored in such self-service storage facility.
(8) SELF-SERVICE STORAGE FACILITY. Any real property designed and used for the purpose of renting or leasing individual storage space to occupants who are to have access to such facility for the purpose of storing and removing personal property. No occupant shall use a self-service storage facility for residential purposes. A self-service storage facility is not a public warehouse as used in Article 1 of this chapter. If an owner issues any warehouse receipt, bill of lading or other document of title for the personal property stored, the owner and the occupant are subject to the provisions of Article 7 of the Uniform Commercial Code, and the provisions of this article shall not apply.