As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) DEALER. Any person, corporation, or partnership that engages in the business of purchasing precious items for the purpose of reselling such items in any form. A dealer does not include a manufacturer, retail merchant, pawnbroker licensed by the Alabama State Banking Department, or person in the wholesale business.
(2) LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY. The chief of police for businesses located within the jurisdiction of a municipality and the county sheriff for businesses located outside the jurisdiction of a municipality.
(3) PERMANENT PLACE OF BUSINESS. A fixed premises either owned by the dealer or leased by the dealer for at least one year.
(4) PRECIOUS ITEM. Any of the following:
a. An article made in whole or in part of gold, silver, or platinum.
b. Precious or semiprecious stones or pearls whether mounted or unmounted.
(5) PURCHASE. The acquisition of a precious item or items for a consideration of cash, goods, or another precious item.