Sections 8-6-4 through 8-6-9 shall not apply to any of the following securities:
(1) Any security, including a revenue obligation, issued or guaranteed by the United States, any state, any political subdivision of a state, any agency, corporate, or other instrumentality of one or more of the foregoing; or any certificate of deposit for any of the foregoing.
(2) Any security issued or guaranteed by Canada, any Canadian province, any political subdivision of any province, any agency, corporate, or other instrumentality of one or more of the foregoing or any other foreign government with which the United States currently maintains diplomatic relations if the security is recognized as a valid obligation by the issuer or guarantor.
(3) Any security issued by and representing an interest in or a debt of, or guaranteed by, any bank organized under the laws of the United States or any bank, savings institution, or trust company organized and supervised under the laws of this state.
(4) Any security issued by and representing an interest in, a debt of, or guaranteed by any federal savings and loan association or any building and loan or similar association organized under the laws of this state.
(5) Any security issued or guaranteed by any federal credit union or any credit union, industrial loan association, or similar association organized and supervised under the laws of this state.
(6) Any security issued or guaranteed by any railroad, other common carrier, public utility, or holding company which is any of the following:
a. Subject to the jurisdiction of the Interstate Commerce Commission.
b. A registered holding company under the Public Utility Holding Company Act of 1935 or a subsidiary of a company within the meaning of that act.
c. Regulated in respect to its rates and charges by a governmental authority of the United States or any state.
d. Regulated in respect to the issuance or guarantee of the security by a governmental authority of the United States, any state, Canada, or any Canadian province.
(7) Any national market system security under Section 11A of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (including any other security of the same issuer which is of senior or substantially equal rank; any security called for by subscription rights or warrants so designated or approved; and any warrant or right to purchase or subscribe to any of the foregoing) which is so designated or approved for designation upon notice of issuance on an interdealer quotation system operated by a national securities association registered under Section 15A of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, or any security (including any other security of the same issuer which is of senior or substantially equal rank; any security called for by subscription rights or warrants so designated or approved; and any warrant or right to purchase or subscribe to any of the foregoing) which is listed or approved for listing upon notice of issuance on a national securities exchange registered under Section 6 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, if the listing or designation criteria applicable to the issuer of that security provide minimum corporate governance standards substantially equivalent to those applicable to securities on the New York Stock Exchange, the American Stock Exchange, or the National Association of Securities Dealers National Market System as of January 1, 1991. The commission may by order deny, revoke, or suspend the exemption of a specific issue of securities or by rule any category of securities when necessitated by the public interest and for the protection of investors.
(8) Any security issued by any person organized and operated not for private profit but exclusively for religious, educational, benevolent, charitable, fraternal, social, athletic, or reformatory purposes or as a chamber of commerce, trade, or professional association, provided the issuer first files with the commission a written notice specifying the terms of the offer and the commission does not by order disallow the exemption within 15 days thereof.
(9) Any commercial paper which arises out of a current transaction or the proceeds of which have been or are to be used for current transactions and which evidences an obligation to pay cash within nine months of the date of issuance, exclusive of days of grace, or any renewal of the paper which is likewise limited or any guarantee of the paper or of any renewal.
(10) Any investment contract issued in connection with an employee's stock purchase, savings, pension, profit-sharing, or similar benefit plan.
(11) A security issued by an issuer registered as an open-end management investment company or unit investment trust under Section 8 of the Investment Company Act of 1940 if:
a. The Securities Commission has received prior to the offer or sale of the securities:
1. A notice of intention to sell which has been executed by the issuer and which sets forth the name and address of the issuer and the description of the securities to be offered in this state; and
2. A nonrefundable filing fee of three hundred fifty dollars ($350) for an open-end management investment company with total net assets of $25,000,000 or less; a nonrefundable filing fee of seven hundred dollars ($700) for an open-end management investment company with total net assets of more than $25,000,000 but less than $100,000,000; a nonrefundable filing fee of one thousand two hundred dollars ($1,200) for an open-end management investment company with total net assets equal to or greater than $100,000,000 but less than $250,000,000; a nonrefundable filing fee of two thousand dollars ($2,000) for an open-end management investment company with total net assets equal to or greater than $250,000,000; or a nonrefundable filing fee of $200 for a unit investment trust. Fees collected under this section shall be deposited in the Alabama Securities Commission Fund in the State Treasury for the use of the Alabama Securities Commission in the administration of this article.
b. In the event any offer or sale of a security of an open-end management investment company is to be made more than 12 months after the date notice under paragraph a. is received by the director, another notice and payment of the applicable fee shall be required.
c. For the purpose of this subdivision an investment adviser is affiliated with another investment adviser if it controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with the other investment adviser.