(a) Any operator desiring a permit shall file an application with the department upon a form furnished by the department containing all of the following:
(1) A brief description of the tract or tracts of land and the estimated number of acres to be affected by the applicant's surface mining thereon during the permit period. The description shall include the section, township, range, and county in which the land is located and shall otherwise describe the land with sufficient clarity so it may be located and distinguished from other lands. The description shall also include a description of access to the area from the nearest public highway
(2) A statement by the applicant that the applicant has the right and power by legal estate owned to mine by surface mining the land so described. The statement shall set forth by reference the source of the applicant's right and power to so mine.
(3) A statement as to whether the applicant or any person, partnership, or corporation associated with the applicant holds or has held any other permits under this article and an identification of the permits.
(4) The post office address of the applicant.
(5) A comprehensive reclamation plan by the applicant of the manner in which the applicant intends to conduct reclamation of the affected land.
(6) Any other information determined by the department to be necessary in determining whether a permit should be issued.
(b) The application shall be accompanied by a bond or security meeting the requirements of Section 9-16-8 and a filing fee of two hundred fifty dollars ($250).
(c) Upon the basis of a complete surface mining application and reclamation plan or a revision or renewal thereof, the department shall grant, require modification of, or deny the permit within 30 days and notify the applicant in writing of its action. The department may deny a permit if:
(1) The information contained in the application is incomplete, false, or inaccurate.
(2) The applicant fails to submit a feasible reclamation plan.
(3) The applicant, or the operator specified in the application, controls or has controlled a mining operation with a demonstrated pattern of willful violations of this article.
(4) The applicant, or the operator specified in the application, has forfeited a bond for failure to reclaim under this article at any time after September 1, 1999.
(d) A permit issued by the department shall entitle the applicant to immediately engage in surface mining on the land described in the application for the permit period, provided that all other permits required under other statutes have been obtained.