THIS SECTION WAS AMENDED BY ACT 2022-40 IN THE 2022 REGULAR SESSION, EFFECTIVE MAY 1, 2022. THIS IS NOT IN THE CURRENT CODE SUPPLEMENT.
Unless the context otherwise requires, the following words and terms have the following meanings in this article:
(1) CODE. The Code of Alabama 1975, as amended.
(2) GAS. All natural gas, casinghead gas, carbon oxides, ammonia, hydrogen, nitrogen, noble gases, and occluded natural gas found in coal beds, and all other hydrocarbons not defined as oil in Section 9-17-1, except and not including liquid petroleum gas.
(3) STATE OIL AND GAS BOARD or BOARD. The State Oil and Gas Board of Alabama.
(4) STORAGE FACILITY. Any underground reservoir used or to be used for the underground storage of gas and all surface and subsurface rights and appurtenances necessary or useful in the operation of the facility for the underground storage of gas, including any necessary or reasonable buffer zone as designated by the board for the purpose of ensuring the safe operation of the storage of gas and to protect the storage facility against pollution, invasion, and escape or migration of gas therefrom, together with any and all subsequent extensions thereof.
(5) STORAGE OPERATOR. Any company, person, corporation, partnership, limited partnership, association of persons, municipality, association of municipalities, public utility, gas district, or other entity, authorized by the board pursuant to Section 9-17-152 to operate any storage facility.
(6) UNDERGROUND RESERVOIR. Any subsurface sand, stratum, formation, aquifer, or cavity, cavern, or void (whether natural or artificially created), suitable for or capable of being made suitable for the injection and storage of gas therein and the withdrawal of gas therefrom.
(7) UNDERGROUND STORAGE. Storage in an underground reservoir.