In order to carry out the provisions of this chapter the commissioner through plans and programs of the department shall perform the following functions and activities:
(1) Prepare and maintain a continuing inventory and evaluation of recreational needs and resources of the State of Alabama;
(2) Formulate and maintain a comprehensive statewide recreation plan, taking into consideration the plans of various federal and state agencies, and political subdivisions. The plan shall set forth the needs and demands of the public for recreation in the current and foreseeable future, recommend desirable actions to be taken at each level of government, as well as identify those actions that can be made by private interests;
(3) Provide technical assistance and advice to, and cooperate with, political subdivisions, and private interests, including nonprofit organizations, with respect to recreation;
(4) Sponsor, engage in, and assist in research relating to recreation by contract or cooperative agreements, and make payments for such purposes;
(5) Undertake studies and assemble information concerning recreation directly or by contract or cooperative agreement, and disseminate such information;
(6) Promote coordination of state plans and activities generally relating to recreation; and
(7) Promulgate such reasonable rules and regulations deemed necessary to implement the provisions of this chapter.