Wherever used or referred to in this article, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context:
(1) DISTRICT or SOIL AND WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT. A governmental subdivision of this state and a public body corporate and politic organized in accordance with the provisions of this article for the purposes, with the powers and subject to the restrictions set forth in this article.
(2) SUPERVISOR. One of the members of the governing body of a district appointed in accordance with the provisions of this article.
(3) COMMITTEE or STATE SOIL AND WATER CONSERVATION COMMITTEE. The agency created in Section 9-8-22.
(4) PETITION. A petition filed under the provisions of subsection (a) of Section 9-8-23 for the creation of a district.
(5) STATE. The State of Alabama.
(6) AGENCY OF THIS STATE. Such term includes the government of this state and any subdivision, agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of the government of this state.
(7) UNITED STATES or AGENCIES OF THE UNITED STATES. Such terms include the United States of America, the Soil Conservation Service of the United States Department of Agriculture and any other agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of the United States of America.
(8) GOVERNMENT or GOVERNMENTAL. Such terms include the government of this state, the government of the United States and any subdivision, agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of either of them.
(9) LANDOWNER or OWNER OF LAND. Such terms include any person, firm or corporation who shall hold legal or equitable title to any farm, forest or grazing lands lying within a district organized under the provisions of this article.
(10) DUE NOTICE. Notice published at least twice, with an interval of at least seven days between the two publication dates, in a newspaper or other publication of general circulation within the appropriate area or, if no such publication of general circulation is available, by posting in at least three public places in each county lying in whole or in part within the designated area. At any hearing held pursuant to such notice, at the time and place designated in such notice, adjournment may be made from time to time without the necessity of renewing such notice for such adjourned dates.
(11) LAND OCCUPIER or OCCUPIER OF LAND. Such terms include any person, firm or corporation who shall be in possession of any lands lying within a district organized under the provisions of this article, whether as lessee, renter, tenant or owner.