|SYNOPSIS:||This bill would prohibit this state and any of its agencies, political subdivisions, or instrumentalities from providing grant funding to support the performance of an abortion or counseling in favor of an abortion, or to otherwise aid providers of abortions or affiliates of providers of abortions, with exceptions.|
Relating to abortion; to prohibit this state and any of its agencies, political subdivisions, or instrumentalities from providing grant funding to support the performance of an abortion or counseling in favor of an abortion, or to otherwise aid providers of abortions or affiliates of providers of abortions, with exceptions.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF ALABAMA:
Section 1. For purposes of this act, the following terms have the following meanings:
(1) ABORTION REFERRAL. The act of recommending a pregnant woman to a doctor, clinic, or other person or entity for the purpose of obtaining or learning about a convenience abortion.
(2) AFFILIATE. An individual or entity that directly or indirectly owns, controls, is controlled by, or is under the common control of another person or entity, in whole or in part, or a subsidiary, parent, or sibling entity.
(3) CONVENIENCE ABORTION. The act of using or prescribing an instrument, medicine, drug, device, substance, or any other means, with the intent to terminate a pregnancy. This term does not include acts performed with the intent to do any of the following:
a. Save the life of the mother.
b. Save the life or preserve the health of the unborn child.
c. Remove a miscarried unborn child.
d. Remove an ectopic pregnancy.
e. Abort and remove an unborn child that is conceived through rape or incest.
Section 2. (a) No agency, political subdivision, or instrumentality of the state shall award a grant to pay the direct or indirect costs of performing, inducing, referring, or counseling in favor of convenience abortions, including, but not limited to:
(1) Administrative costs and expenses.
(2) Overhead costs.
(3) Employee salaries.
(4) Rent and mortgage payments.
(5) Telephone and other utility payments.
(b) No agency, political subdivision, or instrumentality of the state shall grant, appropriate, or distribute a grant to an individual or entity that does any of the following or that is affiliated with any individual or entity that does any of the following:
(1) Performs convenience abortions.
(2) Induces convenience abortions.
(3) Provides convenience abortion referrals.
(4) Counsels in favor of convenience abortions.
(c) This act shall not be construed to deny funding to a hospital, a medical school, or a two-year or four-year college or university.
(d) This act shall not be construed to affect funding available through the Alabama Medicaid program.
Section 3. This act shall become effective immediately following its passage and approval by the Governor, or its otherwise becoming law.