|SYNOPSIS:||Under existing law, instruction in yoga is specifically prohibited in Alabama public schools.|
|This bill would authorize local boards of education to offer yoga to students in grades K to 12.|
Relating to public education; to authorize local boards of education to offer yoga to students in grades K to 12.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF ALABAMA:
Section 1. Each local board of education may offer instruction in yoga to students in grades K to 12, subject to the following:
(1) Instruction in yoga shall be an elective activity. Students shall have the option to opt out in favor of alternative activities, which shall be made available.
(2) Each local board of education shall have exclusive discretion to determine the duration and frequency of periods of instruction in yoga.
(3) All instruction in yoga shall be limited exclusively to poses, exercises, and stretching techniques.
(4) All poses shall be limited exclusively to sitting, standing, reclining, twisting, and balancing.
(5) All poses, exercises, and stretching techniques shall have exclusively English descriptive names.
(6) Chanting, mantras, mudras, use of mandalas, and namaste greetings shall be expressly prohibited.
Section 2. This act shall become effective on the first day of the third month following its passage and approval by the Governor, or its otherwise becoming law.