The following words and phrases shall have the following meaning whenever used in this chapter except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
(1) ABANDONMENT. A voluntary and intentional relinquishment of the custody of a minor by parent, or a withholding from the minor, without good cause or excuse, by the parent, of his or her presence, care, love, protection, maintenance, or the opportunity for the display of filial affection, or the failure to claim the rights of a parent, or the failure to perform the duties of a parent.
(2) ADOPTEE. The person being adopted.
(3) ADULT. A person who is 19 years of age or older or who by statute is otherwise deemed an adult.
(4) CONSENT. Voluntarily agreeing to adoption.
(5) FATHER. A male person who is the biological father of the minor or is treated by law as the father.
(6) LICENSED CHILD PLACING AGENCY. Any adoption agency that is licensed under the provisions of the Alabama Child Care Act of 1971 or any adoption agency approved by the Department of Human Resources.
(7) MINOR. A person under the age of 19 or a person who is not an adult under the law in the jurisdiction where he or she resides. The term includes a minor parent only.
(8) MOTHER. A female person who is the biological mother of the minor or is treated by law as the mother.
(9) PARENT. Natural or legal father or mother.
(10) PARTIES IN INTEREST. The adoptive parents and the natural parents unless the rights of the natural parents have been terminated or relinquished for purposes of adoption then the agency that has custody becomes a party in interest. This phrase does not include the adoptee.
(11) PRESUMED FATHER. Any male person as defined in the Alabama Uniform Parentage Act.
(12) PUTATIVE FATHER. The alleged or reputed father.
(13) RELINQUISHMENT. Giving up the physical custody of a minor for purpose of placement for adoption to a licensed child placing agency or the Department of Human Resources.
(14) SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD. A child as defined by the federal Adoption Assistance and Child Welfare Act of 1980.